To study in New Zealand is not limited to the quality education, better resources and modern technology but there is more to that. The country is blessed with beautiful places and serene landscapes coupled with globally recognized institutions that are committed to deliver interactive education capacity to the international students. On the Global Peace Index 2019, New Zealand comes at second place in terms of safety, low crime rate, peaceful environment, while making it suitable place to study in New Zealand.
Top reasons to study in New Zealand
1.Globally Recognized Universities
Universities in New Zealand enjoy a wide recognition and global acceptance. Courses and education programs in New Zealand are of top-notch quality and highly respected by employers all over the world.
2. Lower Tuition Fees & Expenses
Studying in New Zealand is an ideal choice for Indian students due to its affordable living cost and lower tuition fee. Students can easily find cheap accommodations, reasonably priced public transportation, and access to other basic necessities without being financially burdened.
3. Minimal Entry Requirements
The process of getting admission into New Zealand universities is not too complicated. There are a number of programs and courses which feature minimal eligibility requirements. Also, there isn’t much fierce competition among prospective candidates to gain entry to the university. There is no age bar, and even students with moderate marks or grades can easily take the admission into the most demanding courses.
Education Model in NZ
- New Zealand has a very diverse education model, which is considered to be the best in the world.
- The government of New Zealand puts a lot of emphasis on education and offers the highest percentage of public funding to this sector.
- New Zealand’s education system has 3 levels:
- Early childhood education — from birth to school entry age.
- Primary and secondary education — from 5 to 19 years of age.
- Further education— higher and vocational education.
Pre School and education
- In early childhood education, children below 5 years receive education and care that prepare them to go to school.
- Schooling in New Zealand is compulsory for all children aging between 6-16 years
- Education is completely free at state school for children between 5-19 years. State schools are government owned and public- funded for the citizens or permanent residents of New Zealand.
- Technical and vocational education- New Zealand has a total of 700 private training institutes that provide specialized vocational training to students who want to gain specific skills in order to get employed in their preferred industry or sector.
- Universities: New Zealand comprises a total of eight state-funded universities, 16 ITPs, and 550 PTEs. Each university offers education programs or degrees in a variety of subjects that prepare students to be job ready.
Conditions to get admission into an undergraduate course in New Zealand:
To enrol as a student, candidates must demonstrate a proof of their completion of twelve years of elementary and secondary education.
In the Indian context, this implies qualifying in class 12th examination or junior college as applicable. The acceptable degrees include : Indian School Certificate, Intermediate Certificate, Higher School Certificate, Higher Secondary Certificate, All India Senior School Certificate.
Prospective students must score a minimum of 75% aggregate marks and a minimum of 60% in English.
In you fail to meet the above criteria, you might be asked to complete a one year of education with any Indian university in India or undertake any foundation course in a university in New Zealand.
For the postgraduate studies admission application in the universities of New Zealand, students must possess:
- A valid bachelor degree in the relevant field from a renowned institution of university.
- For the postgraduate courses, many New Zealand universities accepts the application of Indian graduation system of three years.
- Under some courses, universities may tend to ask for a qualification equivalent to New Zealand Bachelor (Honors) Degree, that require 16 years of education. This is similar to four-year degree course like B.E., B. Tech or other similar courses.
Intake System in NZ
- As far as the intake in NZ is concerned, universities and institutions offer two major intakes which also be referred to as a semester in some institutions.
- The said two intakes available in New Zealand are scheduled for January and July with few universities offers multiple intakes in September and November.
- Semester 1: February to June
- Semester 2: July to November
- There is no deadline in New Zealand for the application but it is recommended to send applications at least 4 months before the starting date in order to avoid any last minute preparation.
|•Undergraduate & postgraduate in a University||•July|
|•Vocational courses in institutes/colleges||•February|
To study in New Zealand, the most preferred and accepted exam for testing language proficiency is: –Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL)
- TOEFL is widely recognized for the purpose of education and immigration process in New Zealand.
- For undergraduate – a score of 80 (min 21 in Writing) is the overall minimum requirement
- For Postgraduate – English language entrance requirement is 90 overall (min 21 in Writing)
- TOEFL Validity – 2 years
- You can appear for the exam multiple times, but as per the rule you cannot take the exam more than once in a 12-day duration.
- Please note that different universities in New Zealand have their pre-defined English language points requirements.
International English Language Testing System (IELTS)
Another Language Examination that is also widely accepted in New Zealand is IELTS. You can take IELTS examination as much as you want.
- Post graduates – IELTS Academic minimum score required is 6.5 and no bands below 6.0
- Under graduates – IELTS minimum score required is 6.0 and no bands below 5.5
Pearson Test of English (PTE)
- PTE is the last of lot to be added to the list of English language proficiency tests in New Zealand.
- The language test is accepted by entire New Zealand Universities, Visa, Polytechnics and Private Institutions.
- PTE consists of 2 types – Academic and General.
- Another benefit is that the exam is also accepted in all the visa categories for New Zealand immigration.
- PTE Validity –2 years
If we take the living expenses, the cost of living in New Zealand is understood by the charges you pay in the form of house rent, utilities and groceries. Rent and housing are much cheaper,…
If you have attained graduation or post-graduation qualifications from New Zealand, you can apply for the New Zealand work visa to pursue your professional career in NZ. LENGTH OF STAY- 1, 2 or 3 years…
Overall pleasant weather condition wherein both the North and South Islands of New Zealand enjoy moderate, maritime climate and temperatures. The country is in the southern hemisphere that means the summer starts in December and…
Engineering Tourism Hospitality Management Information Technology Animation Commerce Business Studies Healthcare Economics Sociology
University of Auckland University of Otago University of Canterbury Victoria University of Wellington Massey University University of Waikato Auckland University of Technology University of Bath Lincoln University