The UK Government allows all Indian students to study in the country, but you must first get a student visa. Your UK Student Visa Application will depend on how old you are and what you want to study in the UK.
You can apply for a student visa no earlier than six months before the start of your course, and in most cases, you’ll hear back about your application within three working weeks.
We recommend that you plan your arrival based on how long your course is. If your course is six months or less, you can come to the UK up to one week before it starts. If your course is longer than six months, you can come up to one month before it starts.
Eligibility Criteria for UK Student Visa
To be eligible for a UK Student Visa from India, you must:
- Have the confirmation of acceptance for studies (CAS) reference number, paperwork needed to get CAS, and a course offer from a licensed sponsor.
- Valid test of English language skills
- Financial proof, which means showing that you have enough money to live on and pay for your course.
Documents Required for Student Visa
When applying for a visa, you will often require:
- A valid passport or other travel documents that are still valid
- Proof that you have enough money to pay for your living costs during your course.
- Reference number and documents used to get a Confirmation of Acceptance for Studies (CAS)
- Passport-sized color photographs
- Testing for tuberculosis (mandatory for South Asian countries)
- Assessment documentation
- Clearance certificate from the Academic Technology Approval Scheme (ATAS) (if required)
You are required an additional documentation if you are:
- Not a citizen of the country
- Under the age of 18
- Have a family (dependents)
If any of your documents are not written in English, you will need to get them translated. Each document that has been translated must have a date, the name and signature of the translator, and a statement that it is a correct translation of the original document.
Applying For Your Visa Online
You’ll have to apply for your UK Student Visa Application online using the British government’s official website. You can fill out the form up to 6 months before you plan to go to the UK. Remember that the date your application fee is paid is the date your application date.