When do you need a Canada study permit?

Many aspiring students from India dream of Canadian education, but with overseas education comes different processes that include study visa applications. For Canada, too, you have to apply for a Canada study permit if you are going for academic, professional, vocational, or other education from a Designated Learning Institute (DLI) that runs for more than six months duration. This is the fundamental requirement to be fulfilled before applying for a Canada study permit.

Children enrolled for pre-school (kindergarten) and those pursuing general interest or self-improvement courses, distance-learning, or audited courses do not require a Canadian study permit. Other exempted categories are minor children within Canada, Family members and members of the private staff of accredited foreign representatives, members of armed forces of a country designated for the Visiting Forces Act, students pursuing the short-term course, and registered Indians.

Some scenarios may be considered while planning to study in Canada

  • If a student is applying for a short-term course and then intends to pursue subsequent courses such that the entire stay will be longer than six months, they must apply for a study permit for the short-term course.
  • For students coming to Canada for courses less than six months from a DLI or non-DLI, in both cases, they do not require a study permit.
  • If a student is coming for a 1-semester study in the Grade 12 High School Exchange Program, then a Canada study permit is not required; however, for entire Grade 12 studies, a Canada study permit is essential since Grade 12 is ten months.
  • The student needs to apply for a Canadian study permit if they are coming to study for four months in a DLI and also wants to work on-campus as, without the study permit, the students are not allowed to work on-campus in Canada.
  • The student should apply for a study permit if the course is identified for more than six months of duration in the acceptance letter, irrespective of whether the student will stay in Canada for six months or less.
  • Remember that in short-term courses also, wherever the student is expected to work (say a chef in a restaurant for a month), they must apply for a Canada study permit and work permit under the Co-op Work Permit program.

As this may seem complex, you can always ease the trouble of understanding the nitty-gritty of a study visa with the help of expert counseling at StudyAbroadExpert. Our counselors are equipped with accurate knowledge and understanding for a seamless study visa application process. Call us at +91 8595338595 or drop a mail at web@studyabroadexpert.com for further information.